So you’ve left an essay and when you think you have a week left before it is due and you actually only have 24 hours? Yup, we have all been there! This happened to me earlier this year and I have learnt never to procrastinate again… However, I also learnt that I can do a lot under pressure (definitely not my best work though) and here are my tips of how to do an essay in a day:
- Eat a filling meal and prep those snacks (trust me this is so much better than constanly getting up because you’re hungry) and make a good drink. This means you are more likely to focus on the essay or work rather than thinking about what you are going to have for dinner.
- Choose your location to work. If this is a desk that is messy in your dorm (again, all been there), I suggest the one song power clean that I do. Meaning you put on an upbeat song and put everything away in this time, it means you work quickly and efficently. Alternativley, go to the library, however I find it easier to work in my room so I have everything I need near by.
- Bye Bye Distractions… TURN THAT PHONE OFF!!! Put everything that will distract you elsewhere or what I find handy is give it to a flatmate who can hold it for ransom until your essay is done (thanks Irma)!
- Timetable your day/night and allocate times and stick to them!! Eg, half hour planning, hour research, 20 mins intro, 5 hours bulk essay, 20 mins conclusion, 3 hours editing and perfecting (this is kinda my go to plan for a 2500 essay so adapt this to your word count etc). There is no time to dilly dally so get on with it!
- Use a referncing generator as you go, saves you time if you struggle with referncing!!
- If you cant get started use the pomodereo technique!! (Post to come on this)
- Dont forget to take breaks, dont get exhausted from it, every hour or so take a 5-10 min break and I suggest instead of being on your phone for these breaks get up and walk about, get a drink and eat a quick snack to refuel yourself, you also wont lose focus from the essay!
Those are my 7 tips on how to write an essay in a day and I hope this helps for all you students out there!
The Ophite Life xox