So last year I wrote a post on my top tips for auditions and I was asked if I could do one on how to prepare for a show once you have passed the audition, so here are my 5 tips on how to help prepare and help you through a show!
- READ THE SCRIPT!!!!! I cannot express enough how important this is, usually casts will have a read through of the script but still if you have a copy of the script, read it more than the cast read through. This is so that you can understand little bits or even character traits that you may have missed at first that probably will not be in stage directions unless it is a big gesture made to an audience.
- LEARN YOUR LINES ASAP- This is an obvious one but you wouldn’t believe how many people need their script a week before show… holding a script means that you cannot throw yourself into the action of a show and after a while your script becomes your safety blanket and you need to get confident with your lines as quick as possible for this not to happen.
- PROPS- If you are using any props within the show (which is highly likely) practise with said prop as soon as you can so that you can get used to how to prop feels and the fact that you have a responsibility to get the prop before you go on stage, therefore, it is best to practice this otherwise you maybe forget in the show.
- WARM UP- So for any sort of physical activity you should warm up, like you would before a workout, this is essential for your body so that you can prevent injury. Stretching is also important after these warm ups so that the muscles do not cramp up and you do not get DOMS the next day. This is also necessary for your vocal chords so that they are not strained or damaged during singing or speaking… yes, even for speaking only roles you should do a full vocal warm up.
- LOOK AFTER YOURSELF- Making sure you are eating, sleeping and exercising enough as well as drinking enough water. Though I should take my own advice on this one, it is good to stay aware and maybe even track what you are doing near show time to make sure your lifestyle is balanced.
The Ophite Life xox